In-person Training Course: Introduction to X-ray CT theory
Tue, 19 Sept 2023
The course aims to inform students about the best methods for analysing data when 3D analysis is required, and how to produce videos.
09:30 – 16:00 BST
To sign up, follow this link.
PLEASE NOTE: This course is only free to University of Manchester Staff or Students.
- Start time: The course will start promptly at 9:30am, you are welcome to join the Zoom meeting in advance
- Breaks: there will be breaks throughout the day
- End time: the finish time can be variable between 3:00pm – 4:30pm as it depends on the number of questions
1. What are X-rays and what is tomography
2. Introduction to the two typical lab-based CT system geometries
- Understand how geometric magnification works in X-ray CT imaging
- Calculation of voxel size for specific specimen size
- The effect of binning on voxel size
- The limitations of magnification in basic X-ray CT systems
3. The X-ray CT reconstruction process and application
- Principles of the Beer-Lambert theory for radiography
- Application of the Radon transform and Fourier slice theorem
- How the filtered back projection method is used
- Identification of reconstruction artefacts and how to minimise them
4. Artefacts in CT data and how to minimise them
- Ring artefacts due to defective pixels
- Origin of streak artefacts
- Why Zingers occur and where
- Limited projection artefacts
- Reconstruction slice centring
- Sample movement effects
5. How to get the most out of your sample to scan
6. Examples of what you can do with CT
7. Lab tour and demonstration
Course Fees and Payment Process
- Staff and Students at The University of Manchester: free
- External Academics: £95 per course
- Industry: £250 per course
Following registration, you will be sent an official quotation for any course fees. You will need to arrange a Purchase Order (PO) from your organisation to The University of Manchester, with a copy sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Attendees are advised to bring their laptops, if possible.
Training Course Prerequisite(s)
This Eventbrite sign-up is for this session only, if you wish to also attend “Introduction to X-ray CT Visualisation using Avizo” please sign-up here.